We are here to answer your questions.
Here are the answers to some common questions about naturopathic care. If you don’t see the answer to your question here, please contact us using the form to the right.
- What can I expect from my Naturopathic Doctor?
We listen to you, and explore the cause of your illness. We treat you as a person providing comfort and long lasting relief.
- Is naturopathic medicine cost-effective?
Absolutely! We strive to resolve your illness and improve your overall health. The long-term goal is to reduce your overall medical spending. This allows you to enjoy life and be more productive.
- Does Insurance cover services provided by Naturopathic Doctors?
Yes. Most insurance companies do cover our services. It is however very important to check with your insurance company as each plan is individualized. Visit our page about naturopathic care and insurance providers for more information.
- What types of patients do Naturopathic Doctors see?
Everyone young to old! We traditionally see the chronically ill or people who are looking to maximize their health. Many patients also see us as their primary care provider. Visit our Conditions Treated page for some examples of the type of care naturopathic doctors provide.
- What does the first visit typically look like?
Depending on your needs, the initial visit may take up to 50 minutes and includes addressing your primary concerns. We want to understand the strength and challenges that lie ahead in your journey to health and how we can serve you as a unique individual.
- Thorough history
- Space for you to voice your concerns
- Working together to achieve your health goals
- A high level of patient responsibility
- Caring, compassionate practitioners, open to listen to your health concerns
- Respect for YOUR health care choices
- Will my Naturopathic Doctor interact with other health care practitioners?
Yes. We will work in consultation with any health care provider. We believe that each profession provides something valuable in creating the best possible care for your needs. If you have an additional health care practitioner, please bring their contact information and any recent lab work.
- If I am taking prescription medications, can I take natural medicines?
Yes, but it depends upon your circumstances. Doctors at Interactive Health Clinic have been trained extensively in interactions of pharmaceutical medications and herbal medicine. This includes any potential adverse effects that could arise from improperly combined drug-nutrient and drug-herbal interactions. It is extremely important that you bring a list of ALL current medications and supplements to each visit and keep us informed of any changes, including dosage.
- In what ways are naturopathic and conventional physicians alike?
Naturopathic doctors are family practice-oriented primary health care doctors. Naturopathic doctors’ training consists of a four year, graduate level, accredited naturopathic medical school after the completion of a four year undergraduate degree. The first two years of schooling are like those of a conventional physician (MD, DO), the majority of time spent on basic sciences (anatomy, physiology, pathology, etc.). The additional two years also consist of specialized academic courses (cardiology, gynecology, gastroenterology, urology, neurology, etc.). Both study modern physical, clinical and laboratory diagnosis and are trained to diagnose and treat disease. Both refer patients to other health care providers or specialists when appropriate. And finally, both are required to pass a similar board examination to become licensed. For more information see ‘training’.
- What role will a Naturopathic Doctor have in my life or health care team?
- Primary care while complementing any conventional care
- Partner in looking beyond the symptoms
- Therapist, caregiver, health coach, cheerleader
- Your trusted advisor to restore balance and add health to your life
- Can doctors at Interactive Health Clinic order labs?
Yes, Naturopathic physicians are trained to draw blood, order lab work and interpret results in order to formulate an appropriate treatment. Naturopathic physicians can order many imaging studies such as x-rays, CT or MRI if they feel it is necessary to manage your condition. If you have had any recent lab work done please bring all results to your visit.
- How will my life be different in a year?
- Improved sleep, energy, mood
- Fewer chronic symptoms
- A deeper understanding of symptoms
- Understanding of the BEST lifestyle for you
- Increased vitality
- Why do I need to see a Naturopathic Doctor if my symptoms are managed with medication?
- Find out why you developed your illness
- Determine how to prevent progression of your current diagnosis
- Achieve true cure, without daily medications or supplements
- Regain a sense of power over your health and a knowing through experience that YOU can impact your illness.